Monday, September 08, 2008

Serena Is No.1


If you know me at all you are aware of the fact that I am absolutely obsessed with Serena Williams. My infatuation with tennis began in high school when I started watching professional tennis on television. I remember the first match I ever watched was the 2002 Wimbledon Final: Serena vs. Venus. Venus had won 2000, and 2001 Wimbledons and Serena was trying for her first. She ended up winning that match and I became instantly attached to her. She would go on to win the U.S. Open, and the 2003 Australian Open thus completing the "Serena Slam" of 4 straight majors.

In 2004, she lost the Wimbledon final to Serena Williams, and in most peoples' eyes it was the end of an era; it was a changing of the guard.

Then she had knee surgery and was out for a while, and when she did come back, it was hard to watch. She seemed just as determined to win her matches but just couldn't find her way. It was especially hard for me to watch because I had just started becoming a fan at the tail end of her dominance. Then, out of nowhere, she wins the 2005 Australian Open! I was blown away! I couldn't believe it! I was so happy for her! Then another year or so of dismal results at majors. Then BAM, ranked 87 in the world she wins another Australian Open title in 2007! Long story short, I have followed her career very closely and it has been up and down.

Flash forward to Summer 2008. She makes the Wimbledon final against sister Venus, and it's the first time they played for a grand slam title in 5 years. Venus ends up winning, though I still think Serena was the better player throughout the tournament. Then, Venus and Serena pair up for The Olympics and win the gold medal in women's doubles! YES! How perfect is this? At the end of the Olympics the only thing I could think of that would make this summer any better would be Serena winning the U.S. Open.

Last night made this summer perfect for tennis! Serena not only won her 3rd U.S. Open, and 9th Grand Slam overall, but became the No.1 player in the world again in doing so. It has been 5 years since Serena was No.1--the longest amount of time someone has been No.1 twice in the history of tennis. Of course, Serena's reaction was classic! She threw her racquet 50 feet in to the air, and jumped up and down like a kid--screaming and smiling the entire time.

Needless to say, I am very excited and ridiculously happy for Serena and her ascension to No.1 in the world! Can she follow up her win at the U.S. Open with her 4th Australian Open title in January? That would be one of the best birthday gifts I could ever ask for! ! ! ! !

Check the video, and fast forward to 4:02 to see Serena's reaction to her winning! It's classic!

No comments: